Still Wearing Shoes in Your Home?

In countries like Japan, China, Laos, Korea, Thaliand and Taiwan, removing shoes before entering the home is an absolute cultural must. In certain countries this custom extends to churches, temples, restaurants and schools as well. To leave the shoes on is to be rude and disrespectful to the homeowner and the home itself – something perceptually just as bad as putting your shoes up on the couch or table. But studies show this cultural trend just may have gotten its start from a very real phenomenon: outdoor shoes bring thousands of bacteria into the home.

High Bacteria Levels

To break down the facts, this study by the University of Arizona looked at 10 study participants from a variety of lifestyles who wore shoes outside and inside on a regular basis. They frequently tested and monitored the amount of bacteria found on the soles and inside sole of each shoe over the course of the study, identifying fecal coliforms and E. coli in almost every case.

Sky-High Bacterial Transfer Rates

Even more concerning is that researchers found evidence that the vast majority of that bacteria transferred into the home (e.g., onto the floor) after wearing them inside for only a short period of time. On average, scientists consistently demonstrated proof that around 99% of the 421,000 identified germs found on shoes successfully transferred to other surfaces.

That shouldn't be too surprising to anyone given the fact that public restroom floors have been found to contain around 2 million bacteria per square inch. Kelly Reynolds, Ph.D., a microbiologist and professor at the University of Arizona, put it into perspective when stating, "We walk through things like bird droppings, dog waste and germs on public restroom floors, all of which are sources for E coli." Then we track all that stuff into our own homes and transfer them to our floors, our carpets, etc. And that can easily transfer to our bare feet, our socks, and to our little ones who play on the floors.

Wash Those Shoes

Here’s the good news: you aren’t doomed to live with bacteria. Simple machine washing eliminated approximately 99% of all E. coli bacteria and up to 90% of all fecal coliforms found on the shoes. So, if you’re going to wear your shoes inside the house maybe it’s best to wash them frequently. Better yet, buy yourself a separate pair of comfortable shoes that you wear inside the house only, and leave the bacteria traps outside.   

So taking our shoes off when we enter our own or someone else's home shouldn't be perceived as too much of an inconvenience anymore; it's just good manners and good hygiene. 


9/29/2023 4:00:00 AM
Wellness Editor
Written by Wellness Editor
Wellness Exists to Empower Health Conscious Consumers. helps people live healthier, happier and more successful lives by connecting them with the best health, wellness and lifestyle information and resources on the web.
View Full Profile Website:

LOL. As a child who lived on a farm I lost count of how many times I went wading in my bare feet in cow poo patches. I am still alive a few decades later!!
Posted by Desert Driver100
Some people's feet STINK so bad you'd wish they ALWAYS kept their shoes on.
Posted by Casey Jones
Usually go barefoot but ended up slipping in something, then slammed for in doorframe. Even tho I agree with bacteria etc on floors from shoes I wonder if I wouldnt have done the same if I hadn't been batefoot
Posted by Cass
A lot of diabetics injure their feet if they go barefoot in the house, bumping into furniture. Cuts and sores do not heal well with diabetics because they might not notice them due to peripheral neuropathy.
I would rather wear shoes in the house than risk injury to my feet. In nursing school I was taught to encourage wearing shoes while walking around. I prefer to protect my toes.
It's up to you what you want to do.
Posted by Margaret Humphreys
I wholeheartedly agree. When our son was 2 years old, he developed osteomyelitis in his ankle. The organism was staphylococcus. The doctors suspected it was brought into our home on my husband’s shoes. He is a doctor. Our son reacted badly (kidney damage) from the IV Staphcillin he was given to fight the infection and we nearly lost him. They surmised he had been affected by playing on the floor and put his fingers in his mouth and the staph entered, traveled around his body and lodged in his ankle. He probably injured his ankle a little and the infection took hold.
We were lucky, he pulled through and his growth plate was unaffected and he grew up normally.
Posted by Shirley Miller

Related Keywords does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment nor do we verify or endorse any specific business or professional listed on the site. does not verify the accuracy or efficacy of user generated content, reviews, ratings or any published content on the site. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use.
©2023 Wellness®.com is a registered trademark of, Inc. Powered by Earnware