What types of vinegar are safe on the gluten free diet?
- Distilled white vinegar is a bit controversial as it can be made from a combination of sources that include gluten.
- Apple cider vinegar is made from apple cider and is safe.
- Wine vinegar is ok to consume since it is made from grapes.
- Balsamic vinegar is made from grapes and aged in wooden casks.
- Rice vinegar is used in Japanese cooking, and while ok, make sure you check the ingredients to make sure it doesn’t contain barley malt.
- Cane vinegar is made from sugar cane.
- Flavored vinegars are generally ok, but some are not. Check the ingredients for other grains.
What do you need to know about how the food industry regards gluten free vinegars?
- Supermarkets who produce their own brands are typically manufactured by outside companies.
- Food companies are not required to divulge where they source their vinegar in condiments.
- Always ask a grocer where their vinegar is sourced to make sure there isn’t a threat of cross contamination.