In this week’s episode of Your Best Life, Karl interviews Dr. Joe Dispenza, who is the bestselling author of Evolve Your Brain and Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself. Joe’s work details the neuroscience of change and how it affects our DNA through epigenetics. He is featured in the film, What the Bleep Do We Know? and has lectured in 27 countries across 6 continents educating people about the functions of the human brain. During this episode, Joe and Karl discuss how we can change our minds and make significant shifts in our thinking.
Main Questions Asked:
Thoughts, Consciousness, & Crisis
- Where do our existing programs come from?
- How do we get out of our routines?
- How intertwined with faith practice is this practice?
Key Lessons Learned:
- We have on average of 60,000 thoughts a day, which is 40 thoughts a minute.
- Our thoughts lead to our conscious and unconscious actions, and influence our bodies, lives, and DNA.
- Consciousness is awareness, and awareness is paying attention.
- Don’t let any thought slip past your awareness that you don’t want to experience.
- Wehn we are in a crisis or trauma, we tend to focus on what we don’t want to have happen instead of what we do want to have happen.
- This is where you plan your behaviors and begin to rehearse your actions.
- Mental rehearsal changes the brain and body to make it look like the experience has already occurred.
What the Bleep Do We Know?
- The film questions the nature of reality, and prompts people to try it out to see if they can produce an effect in their life.
- Create thoughts that change your life.
- Personality creates your personal reality.
- This is a time in history where it is not enough to ‘know,’ but we have to know ‘how.’
- If we combine mysticism with quantum physics and neuroscience, we get answers.
- If you explain the ‘what’ and the ‘why,’ the ‘how’ gets easier.
- The outliers are where we need to spend our time.
- If one person can influence their body, then it affords us the same principals to do the same.
- Biology is not a fundamental science.
- If you are made up of atoms, and you keep your attention on matter rather than energy, then you are enslaved by the laws of your body living in an environment and time.
- Our bodies are affected by energy.
- Exposure to electromagnetic and microwave radiation have a physiological effect.
- Our control and expression of energy can also have an effect.
- If you do something over and over, then your body will know how to do it, as well as your mind.
- Once your body becomes the mind, it is called a habit.
- 95% of who we are by the time we are 35 years old is a set of memorized behaviors, unconscious habits, emotional reactions, beliefs, perceptions, and attitudes that function just like a subconscious computer program.
- This means that the body is running the show.
- 5% of the mind will think positively, but 95% is conditioned to be negative.
- You can create the dreamboard, but if your mind and body are in opposition, then it won’t work.
- Thoughts are the language of the brain, and feelings are the language of the body.
- How you think and how you feel creates a state of being.
- When you create an elevated emotion such as gratitude, joy, awe, or inspiration, you begin to raise energy in your body and release more energy and inspiration.
- When you release that energy, it has a frequency, which carries information and intention.
- The stress response is what your body does to restore itself back to order.
- When you are more matter and less energy, you will always try to control the outcome and you are matter trying to influence matter.
- When you create an elevated emotion, you begin to contribute to the field.
- When you are more energy than matter, you are focusing on possibility.
- Intention, combined with elevated emotion, begins to create a physiological, biological, chemical, and genetic change in and around your body.
- We produce a brainwave pattern called beta brainwaves.
- This is when our brain is trying to create meaning and synthesize information between what is going on in the outer world and the inner world.
- Alpha brainwaves are when the inner world is more real than your outer world.
- If your body starts to fall asleep and your mind is awake, your brainwaves slow down even more and you are in theta.
- If you are in delta, then you are sound asleep.
Brainwaves and Children
- From the first 6 years of a child’s life they have no filter or barrier between their conscious and subconscious mind.
- Everything they see, hear, taste, and feel begin to lay down who they are subconsciously.
- For the first two years of a child's life they are in delta, where they are asleep but their eyes are open.
- From the ages of 2-6, their brainwaves are in theta.
- This is the twilight realm we experience in lucid dreaming.
- From the ages of 6-12, the brain moves in to alpha and develops the analytical mind, which is what separates the conscious and unconscious mind.
Quantum Model of Reality
- In order for you to create abundance, you have to feel wealthy.
- In order for you to have a new relationship, you have to feel love.
- In order for you to heal, you have to feel whole.
- You can create the above states by thought alone. These signal genes in new ways.
- This is known as up-regulating a new gene to create a healthy condition and down-regulating the gene for the disease.
- In time, they move their brain and body out of the past and move it into a new future.
- If you believe the idea that your personality creates your personal reality, and your personality is made up of how you think, act, and feel, then the present personality has created the present personality called their life.
- If you want to create a new personality (life), then you have to start thinking about what you’ve been thinking about unconsciously.
- It is a record of the past, and is essentially an artifact.
- Feelings and emotions are the end product of past experiences.
- 90% of the thoughts are the same as the day before, which leads to much of the same.
- To change is to think and be greater than your environment.
- In order to create a different life and change in your body, you have to marry the clear intention with an elevated emotion.
- This is about regulating the internal state
- When the chemicals begin to change from survival to the creative centers, we begin to secret more than 1,300 chemicals that begin to regenerate the body. This takes about 10 minutes of gratitude per day.
Thank you for listening!
If you enjoyed this podcast and would like us to produce more, please click here to subscribe and leave a review in iTunes!
Links to Resources Mentioned
Dr. Joe Dispenza
Evolve Your Brain (book)
Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself (book)
You Are The Placebo (book) Heart Math Institute
2 click to tweet links! (Thanks for helping spread the word!)
Tweet: What is mental rehearsal? Find out w/ @drjoedispenza @wellnessgroup http://www.wellness.com/drjoe
Tweet: How does the neuroscience of change affect our DNA through? Find out w/ @drjoedispenza @wellnessgroup http://www.wellness.com/drjoe