In this week’s episode of Your Best Life, Karl interviews Andrea Beaman, who has cracked the code on the body harnessing its own healing powers. In addition to hosting her award nominated cooking show, Fed Up, Andrea has been featured on Top Chef, The View, CBS, Fox News, Emeril Live, and Martha Stewart’s Home Living. Andrea was also named one of the top 100 most influential health and fitness experts and is the recipient of Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health Supportive Food Education. She also received the Health Leadership Award from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. During this episode, Karl and Andrea discuss transitioning out of the SAD diet, real state of our food, thyroid, and gluten.
Main Questions Asked:
- How have you helped other people make the transition from the standard American diet?
- What resource can people use that makes cooking healthy, easy, and taste great?
Key Lessons Learned:
- The medical establishment isn’t about the quality of the information or even the empirical evidence. Everything is based on the source of information, which is tightly controlled by the money that funds the medical studies.
- So many people don’t sleep through the night, and rejuvenation of the physical body happens only when you are sleeping.
- When you get up to urinate at night, it is a sign that there is a toxic overload in the system.
- Our physical body is a compilation of everything we ingest. Everything we eat becomes our body on a cellular level.
- We have more bacteria in our gut than we have cells in our body.
- In addition to the physical, our body is made up of the following:
Transitioning out of the SAD Diet
- A lot of people live to eat, and we need to eat to live.
- You are what you consume. We consume sunlight, air, and liquids.
- As we become more in-tune with our bodies, we pick up on things we never did before.
- Anybody can have subacute pain or something that is causing them to not be centered, focused, and in their best state. It is caused by food.
- As soon as you start eating whole foods and as food was meant to be, it will happen quickly, and you’ll find yourself in a better mental state.
- We have gone so far away from what food is and how to prepare it that we've lost our way.
- Food has been engineered so it is more palatable but not more digestible.
- If you are eating fractured, denatured food, it will have a physiological effect.
- What we consume needs to be perceived not as pleasure but as sustenance.
- Look at the food you are about to eat, and that is what you will become. A molecular exchange occurs, and that food will become your cells.
- In the US, we have an abundance of food, and it sets us up to have a dysfunctional way to look at food.
- The fact that food can stay on the supermarket shelf and not go bad is a sign that it is not healthy.
- The marketing engine of ‘big food’ teaches us that fresh food goes bad and grows bacteria.
- Tony Robbins once said that if it won’t rot within 48 hours, he won’t eat it.
- Our society is eating but not digesting. The key is to convert to food we eat into super fuel.
- In ancient medicine, the thyroid is connected to the ability to speak and hear the truth.
- A lot of people don’t realize the importance of the thyroid and that it is a keystone gland.
- The hyroid is essential to energy, metabolism, weight control, and overall health.
- Just because a doctor is willing ‘nuke it and remove it’ doesn’t mean it’s not essential.
- People should focus on this whether or not they have a thyroid issue.
- A lot of women test in the normal range for thyroid function. If you go deeper into the test, you’ll find out they are in pre-disease.
- Grains that contain gluten such as wheat, barley, and rye have been around for thousands of years.
- The difference between gluten today and that of our ancestors is the quality.
- In the 1940s and 50s, when we mechanized the process of making bread, the product was no longer hand-kneaded, so gluten was modified.
- Our bodies aren’t designed to process that high amount of gluten on a physical level.
Thank you for listening!
If you enjoyed this podcast and would like us to produce more, please click here to subscribe and leave a review in iTunes!
Links to Resources Mentioned
2 click to tweet links! (Thanks for helping spread the word!)
Tweet: Do you live to eat or eat to live? Hear the full discussion with Top Chef @andreabeaman @wellnessgroup http://www.Wellness.com/andrea
Tweet: Can the body really harness it’s own healing powers? Find out w/ @andreabeaman @wellnessgroup http://www.Wellness.com/andrea