n February I took my 10 year old Boxer in. He had hit his ear against the coffee table causing the blood vessel inside to burst and the ear filled up. It had gotten rather large, but wasn't concerned. Dr. Zygota took a look for us. I specifically asked if it would go away on its own because I read online from another vet clinic that it will eventually re-absorb back into the body, which is why we waited to take him in. Her reply was no and it is very painful for the dog. I didn't feel my dog was in pain, but she made me feel like a terrible pet owner. Unfortunately, I trusted she was being truthful. I didn't want to put my aging boxer through a surgery if it wasn't absolutely necessary, but since she said it wouldn't clear up on its own we scheduled the surgery for the following day. During surgery they removed a mass from his side without prior permission. We scheduled a follow up appointment ten days later. They removed the stitches from his side and checked the drain. They decided to leave the drain in for another week because there was still fluid in his ear. We left and went home thinking all was well. It wasn't. My poor dog wasn't home more than 5 minutes and where they had removed the stitches had completely come open. There was a 3-4 inch exposed area. I couldn't believe it! We quickly rushed him back up and they stapled his incision shut and we began another round of antibiotics. Another week or so went by and we took him back to have the drain checked again. Still had fluid so they decided to continue to leave the drain in. They had us schedule another appointment to check on it in a week or so. Eventually, my dog ended up scratching his ear and catching the drain and ripped it out. I called the vet and they had me come in just in case. They removed the rest of the drain and took out the staples. I took him home only to discover that his side where they removed the staples was gapping open AGAIN! The dog had had surgery over 3 weeks ago at this point. We quickly rushed him back up. They stitched him back up. We returned 2 weeks later because his ear was once again filling back up, which we knew could possibly happen. The vet that took a look asked us and said that they would want to do the full surgery to fix it. At this point we had already paid over $500 to try and fix it. My husband and I didn't want to go through the whole thing again and this vet (not Dr. Zygato) said we could just let it go and eventually the body would re-absorb the fluid build up. WHAT!?!? This is exactly what I asked Dr. Zygato and she said it wouldn't fix itself on its own. They removed a stitch or two from the top and bottom of the incision site on his side. It has now been about 2-3 months since the surgery and my dog still has some stitches in his side. His ear filled up and it has begun to be re-absorbed by the body. I am planning on scheduling another appointment to take out a couple more stitches and discuss my disgust with the services we have received. I feel I am entitled to a refund or compensation. I don't think it is right to lie to a client. I would have broached the conversation with them earlier but I didn't want it to be an emotional and reactive conversation.
Wellness.com does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment nor do we verify or endorse any specific business or professional
listed on the site. Wellness.com does not verify the accuracy or efficacy of user generated content, reviews, ratings or any published